Jack Trout, marketing / branding / positioning guru that I’ve followed for the past three decades, wrote the 10 Commandments of Marketing in an Ad Age article. He does an excellent job of keeping it simple and real.
- Thou shalt realize that perception is reality.
- Thou shalt not commit the “me-too’ mistake.
- Thou shalt be aware of what you are selling.
- Thou shalt realize that truth will not win out.
- Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s idea.
- Thou shalt not be impressed with your own success.
- Thou shalt not try to be everything to everybody.
- Thou shalt not live only by the numbers.
- Thou must be willing to attack yourself.
- Thou must have top management involved.